xml menu pygtk

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Sat May 16 11:04:37 EDT 2009

Seb wrote:
> On May 16, 4:20 pm, MRAB <goo... at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>> Seb wrote:
>>> I'm trying to construct a menu from an xml file. However my recursive
>>> algorithm isn't doing what I want it too. I've been starring at this
>>> for too long. Any help appreciated :)
>>> I get the following error but the problem is more of a logical nature.
>>> ./gnomeAppletMenu.py:40: GtkWarning: gtk_menu_shell_insert: assertion
>>> `GTK_IS_MENU_ITEM (child)' failed
>>>   menu_bar.append(menu)
>>> I'm pretty sure I fuck up around line 27-30
>>> xml file:
>>> http://pastie.org/480045
>>> python code:
>>> http://pastie.org/480042
>> The traceback suggests to me that you can add only a 'MenuItem' to a
>> 'MenuBar', but create_menu() is returning a 'Menu'.
>
> Doesn't a MenuBar consists of Menu's?

I've had a look at some examples on the web and it looks like you need
to:

1. Set the menu on a menu item (the 'set_submenu' method);
2. Append the menu item onto the menu bar.

What you're actually doing is:

1. Setting the menu on a menu item;
2. Appending the menu item onto a menu;
3. Trying to append the menu onto the menu bar.

Result: exception.

HTH