Your Favorite Python Book

Jeff McNeil jeff at jmcneil.net
Fri May 15 10:59:10 EDT 2009

On May 11, 5:45 pm, Chris Rebert <c... at rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Sam Tregar <s... at tregar.com> wrote:
> > Greetings.  I'm working on learning Python and I'm looking for good books to
> > read.  I'm almost done with Dive into Python and I liked it a lot. I found
> > Programming Python a little dry the last time I looked at it, but I'm more
> > motivated now so I might return to it.  What's your favorite?  Why?
>
> I like "Python in a Nutshell" as a reference book, although it's now
> slightly outdated given Python 3.0's release (the book is circa 2.5).
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
> --http://blog.rebertia.com

I second this. I've got a small stack of reference books on Python and
this is the most ripped up, coffee-stained, ragged piece of junk I
own. It's even more beat up than my K&R book which I've probably had
four times as long.  Everyone knows that's how you rate your techie
books... the more beat up they are, the higher the quality.

The book is laid out wonderfully.  You've got an tutorial that's
geared towards programmers, language reference, some advanced topics,
and then module reference.

Also, have a look at www.pylonsbook.com once you get the language
down. I've come to like this one as well because you'll also learn a
lot about Python development in general from it. A lot of the
knowledge transfers out of the web development arena into other areas
of programming.