Can't run PyQt apps with MacPython

Morad moradks at gmail.com
Fri May 15 10:42:26 EDT 2009

On May 15, 10:34 am, Morad <mora... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 13, 7:29 pm, David Boddie <da... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > On Wednesday 13 May 2009 17:53, Morad wrote:
>
> > > I recently got a new MacBook Pro with Leopard, and would like to
> > > develop using Python and PyQt. I installed the latest Qt SDK, updated
> > > MacPython to V 2.5.4 and then proceeded to install SIP and PyQt as
> > > described in Mark Summerfield's book on PyQt Programming. Everything
> > > went fine and none of the scripts complained. However when I want to
> > > run a demo app, I get the error message "Fatal Python error:
> > > Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?) / Abort Trap". Anybody
> > > can help?
>
> > This page suggests a possible conflict between installed Python
> > interpreters:
>
> >http://aralbalkan.com/1675/comment-page-1
>
> > A post to the PyQt mailing list talks about the correct way to build from
> > source, but it may not be relevant in this case:
>
> >http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2006-July/013766.html
>
> > It may just be worth checking that SIP and PyQt were built and installed
> > for the interpreter you expected. Failing that, you might want to ask this
> > again on the PyQt mailing list:
>
> >http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/
>
> > David
>
> Thanks David. What I managed to do as an interim solution is simply to
> remove MacPython and reinstall SIP and PyQt using the default version
> of Python that comes with Apple, and then everything works. Next I
> will retry how to use a more uptodate version, maybe I compiled SIP
> etc. with the wrong version. If I have more questions I will use the
> PyQt mailing list, thanks for the tip!
>
> Morad

Quick update: I now also managed to get things working with a newer
version of MacPython (2.5.4) and everything looks fine. The trick
seems to be that if a terminal window is open prior to the MacPython
install, it will NOT use the new version of python. So one has to
close it and open a new terminal window, and only then should one
compile SIP and PyQt.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.
Morad