How do I test the integrity of a Python installation in Debian and Ubuntu

Geoff Gardiner ggardiner at iee.org
Mon May 11 16:19:02 EDT 2009

Aahz wrote:
> ... That seems to demonstrate that regrtest.py is indeed a good mechanism for
> finding out whether it's a b0rked install!

I agree that regrtest.py looks a good mechanism. It just appears that
`apt-get install python` on Debian and Ubuntu brings no tests with it.

@Lawrence D'Oliveiro:

`apt-get install debsums` does indeed show that the packages that it checks have matching checksums. `debsums [-a] python` checks all sorts of /usr/share/doc/python files while `debsums [-a] python2.5` checks /usr/share/doc/python2.5, /usr/lib/python2.5 and others as well. Although that wasn't what I was originally looking for it has been helpful.

Thank you for your suggestions.

All the best,
Geoff