How do I test the integrity of a Python installation in Debian and Ubuntu

Geoff Gardiner ggardiner at iee.org
Sun May 10 09:26:40 EDT 2009

Aahz wrote:
> What directory are you running this from?  What happens if you switch to
> running "python Lib/test/regrtest.py"?  Taking a closer look, this looks
> more like a plain import error.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I couldn't do quite that because there's no Lib, but instead (in Ubuntu
Hardy, this time):
gegard at gegard:~$ cd /usr/lib/python2.5/
gegard at gegard:/usr/lib/python2.5$ python test/regrtest.py
test_grammar
test_grammar skipped -- No module named test_grammar
test_opcodes
test_opcodes skipped -- No module named test_opcodes
test_operations
test_operations skipped -- No module named test_operations
test_builtin
test_builtin skipped -- No module named test_builtin
test_exceptions
test_exceptions skipped -- No module named test_exceptions
test_types
test_types skipped -- No module named test_types
test_unittest
test_unittest skipped -- No module named test_unittest
test_doctest
test_doctest skipped -- No module named test_doctest
test_doctest2
test_doctest2 skipped -- No module named test_doctest2
9 tests skipped:
    test_builtin test_doctest test_doctest2 test_exceptions
    test_grammar test_opcodes test_operations test_types test_unittest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test/regrtest.py", line 1384, in <module>
    main()
  File "test/regrtest.py", line 416, in main
    e = _ExpectedSkips()
  File "test/regrtest.py", line 1321, in __init__
    from test import test_socket_ssl
ImportError: cannot import name test_socket_ssl
gegard at gegard:/usr/lib/python2.5$

Also
gegard at gegard:~$ locate */test_socket_ssl.*
gegard at gegard:~$ #returns nothing

And
gegard at gegard:~$ locate /usr/lib/python2.5/test/test_*.*
/usr/lib/python2.5/test/test_support.py
/usr/lib/python2.5/test/test_support.pyc
gegard at gegard:~$

All the best,
Geoff