Wrapping comments

Sat May 9 20:20:40 EDT 2009

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <towb-EA7906.14423909052009 at news.individual.de>, Tobias Weber
> wrote:
>
>> the guideline (PEP 8) is hard wrap to 7x characters.
>
> Nowadays I set my maximum line lengths, and the widths of my terminal
> windows to 100 characters. And I'm wondering whether or not to go wider
> still. After all, the screens can take it.

But the printers cannot.  And I wind up quietly cursing code writers
who figure the only window I look at is the one they put the code in.
In other words, I have a large enough screen to look at two pages
side-by-side, and somebody decides he wants to use 2/3 of that width.
Think of your reader, not just your operational environment, unless
you are programming on your own and don't care to share.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org