Which python version do I use with "virtualenv"?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Thu May 7 07:34:01 EDT 2009

OldGrantonian <OldGrantonian at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to both Steven D'Aprano and Ant :)
>
>>>  Sounds like you've downloaded the Python 2.5 version of Easy Install.
>
> There's no Python 2.6 version of EasyInstall :(

I wonder what I've been running then?

> For 2.5, there is:
>
> setuptools-0.6c9.win32-py2.5.exe
>
> But for 2.6, it's:
>
> setuptools-0.6c9-py2.6.egg
>
> For any other egg file, I would use EasyInstall, but I don't think I
> can use EasyInstall to install EasyInstall :)

No, but you can use ez_setup.

Go to http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py and save the content
of that file as ez_setup.py (cut and paste into your favourite editor may
be the simplest way) then run it with your chosen Python. It will find and
install the appropriate version of easy install.