Parsing text

Wed May 6 14:50:39 EDT 2009

iainemsley wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to write a fairly basic text parser to split up scenes and
> acts in plays to put them into XML. I've managed to get the text split
> into the blocks of scenes and acts and returned correctly but I'm
> trying to refine this and get the relevant scene number when the split
> is made but I keep getting an NoneType error trying to read the block
> inside the for loop and nothing is being returned. I'd be grateful for
> some suggestions as to how to get this working.
>
> ...(some code)...

You'll get a lot better help if you:
     (1) Include enough code to run and encounter the problem.
         Edit this down to something small (in the process,
         you may discover what was wrong).
     (2) Include actual sample data demonstrating the problem.
and (3) Cut and paste the _actual_ error message and traceback
         from your output when running the sample code with the
         sample data.
For extra points, identify the Python version you are using.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org