Copy & Paste in a Dos box (was: Pyhton script to call another program)

Shawn Milochik Shawn at Milochik.com
Wed May 6 14:12:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>> for windows this works:
>> (can't cut and paste from a dos box!###%*&!!!)
>
> Depending on how it was spawned, you can either right-click in the window
> and choose Mark/Paste (when marking, use <enter> to terminate the selection;
> and selections are blockwise rectangular rather than linewise or
> characterwise).  Alternatively, if you click on the system menu (the icon in
> the title-bar with resize/minimize/maximize/close/help), there should be an
> Edit submenu with the same options within.
>
> A pain, but at least feasible.
<snip>

I know I'm coming to the conversation late, but here's what I do*:

1. Use Cygwin. (http://www.cygwin.com/)
2. Use PuttyCYG (http://code.google.com/p/puttycyg/)

That way, you can basically use PuTTY to shell into your Windows box.

Note: If you are familiar with the Linux command line, you will be in
love with this solution. If you're a Windows-only type, then be
forewarned that doing this will require you to type Unix/Linux
commands (for the most part) instead of DOS commands.

*Disclaimer: I use a Mac and Linux. This is my workaround when forced
to use Windows. Your environment preferences may vary.