Which one is best Python or Java for developing GUI applications?

Pascal Chambon chambon.pascal at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 5 15:05:15 EDT 2009

Chris Rebert a écrit :
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>> Clearly c.l.p needs to adopt the SNB <http://cam.misc.org.uk/snb>
>> convention :)
>>

> Surely you have forgotten the comedy style of the language's namesake,
> which makes that rule completely inadmissible! ;P
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

The fact that Python is a dynamic language offers, in my opinion, a huge
advantage to quickly setup a GUI, without caring about the infinite
details of the variable types and function signatures.
Its good handling of "function as first-class objects" is also precious
when comes the time of setting callbacks (I can't bear anymore the way
Swing does it, with interfaces etc.)

But much depends on the framework used, too. I've used wxPython for a
multimedia project, and actually it lacked a lot of necessary features
(transparency, event loop tuning, multithreading support...), but that
was 1 year ago, maybe things have changed.
Anyway, I'd advocate the use of PyQt, which really offers tremendous
possibilities - if your application isn't a simple office application,
its' really worth turning towards pyqt.

Regards,
Pascal