Help! Can't get program to run.

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat May 2 17:30:40 EDT 2009

In article
<8f6634a2-c977-430a-b9f2-90ef9356d336 at x6g2000vbg.googlegroups.com>,
 seanm.py at gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you for both for the help. I still cannot get the program to run
> though. Below I've copied my commands and the error messages for you
> (in IDLE then Terminal):
>
> IDLE 2.6.2
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The default IDLE window is a python shell window.  That is, you are
already "inside" the python interpreter, the same as if you typed just
"python", with no file name, in the Terminal window.  You can use that
to execute python statements and introspect objects, among other things.
Try it.

But, back in IDLE, ignore that window for the moment and use the Open
command in the File Menu to select and open your file module1.py from
whatever directory it is in.  A new window should open with the contents
of that file.  With that window selected (click on it, if necessary),
there should be a "Run" option in the Menu bar and under it will be a
"Run Script" option that will cause the script to run and the output to
appear in the shell window.  You can then explore the other options
available in IDLE for debugging, etc.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org