web access through vpn client

mark.seagoe at gmail.com mark.seagoe at gmail.com
Fri May 1 22:50:58 EDT 2009

On May 1, 5:57 pm, "Martin P. Hellwig" <martin.hell... at dcuktec.org>
wrote:
> mark.sea... at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi;
>
> > I am trying to retrieve financial data off website for stock market
> > analysis.  Just hobby not for pay.  I actually am impressed that
> > urllib2 and BeautifulSoup work pretty well to do what I want, and the
> > first little routine actually gets the data from the web page...
> > except if my VPN client is turned on.
>
> > I've looked around for a solution but can't find... perhaps I'm not
> > entering the right search words.  I don't even know where to start.
> > Can anyone suggest some good reading, or basic idea how to approach?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
>
> When the VPN client is on, can you actually still browse the 'classical'
> way to the website in question?
> I ask this because many cooperate VPN clients have a way of shutting
> down all other access besides to the VPN server (which is very annoying
> but I can see the logic behind it).
>
> If that is the case your VPN network might have a webproxy which needs
> to be configured to continue browsing when connected to the VPN. For
> python you can automate this by checking for access to the proxy and use
> it if it is there.
>
> --
> MPHhttp://blog.dcuktec.com

Yes when Cisco AnyConnect VPN client is connected, I can browse w/
IE.  I think the packets get encrypted and possibly go to my company's
server and out from there, because then also Outlook connects to my
company, Communicator works, etc.  With VPN off I can browse and
Python can get URL, but no connection through my company's server & no
encryption.

Where can I find out more about how to configure the webproxy, if the
info is handy?  Thanks!

Mark