Error in code send Email

Kalyan Chakravarthy kalyanchakravarthy at hyit.com
Thu May 21 01:31:02 EDT 2009

Hi All,

import smtplib

 mail="abc at xyz.com";
    subject="Hai";
    msg = 'Some Text';

    smtp_server = smtplib.SMTP( 'mail.%s' % mail.split( '@' )[-1] )
    smtp_server.sendmail(
          mail
        , [ mail ]
        , 'Subject: %s\n' % subject
            + 'To: %s\n' % mail
            + '\n'
            + msg
        )

I am using above  code to send an Email, for this i am not installed any
SMTP setup my local , I just given import smtplib
and I am getting following error

showing error at
 *smtp_server = smtplib.SMTP( 'mail.%s' % mail.split( '@' )[-1] )* this line

can any one tell that how to give STMP server setup in my local and run
successfully the above code.

**Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program
Files\Google\google_appengine\google\appengine\ext\webapp\__init__.py",
line 500, in __call__
    handler.post(*groups)
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\desk\Desktop\apps\temp\main.py",
line 129, in post
    smtp_server = smtplib.SMTP( 'mail.%s' % mail.split( '@' )[-1] )
  File "C:\Python26\lib\smtplib.py", line 239, in __init__
    (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\smtplib.py", line 295, in connect
    self.sock = self._get_socket(host, port, self.timeout)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\smtplib.py", line 273, in _get_socket
    return socket.create_connection((port, host), timeout)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'create_connection'

--
Regards
Kalyan