package with executable

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Tue May 19 14:54:12 EDT 2009

Hi,
my name is Stefano Costa, I am an archaeologist and I am developing
GNUCal, a radiocarbon calibration program released under the GNU GPL.
[1][2]

Currently the program consists of a small "library", largely based on
Matplotlib and Numpy, and a command line program. My goal is to create a
distributable package, that should ideally contain both the "gnucal"
package and the command line program.

As you can see in the source code [3], I am following some sort of
standard layout for my project, but some things aren't still clear to
me, even after reading setuptools' documentation and looking to the
source of some known Python packages (like sphinx, pastescript, django):
      * where should the executable module be wrt setup.py and/or the
        package directory in the source tree
      * how should I format the console_scripts entry in setup() to make
        the executable module available to the system PATH after
        installing
      * how should I call the "gnucal" package from inside the
        executable script (currently I'm using "from gnucal import core"
        but it doesn't seem to work)

I'm using virtualenv to create testing environments for the install
process, and my Python is 2.5.4 on Debian Sid.

Any suggestion is appreciated, particularly if there are some real
examples to draw from.

thanks,
steko

[1] http://gnucal.iosa.it/