Need advice on distributing small module

kj socyl at 987jk.com.invalid
Thu May 14 16:26:55 EDT 2009

I've written a tiny module that I'd like to make available online
from my website.  This module is not "production-grade" code; it
is meant only as an illustration, but still I'd like to make its
download and installation as painless as possible.

I could simply bundle everything into a .tgz file, but I'd like
the distribution to conform to the expectations of Python users,
as far as the installation sequence is concerned.  I'm fairly new
to Python, and would appreciate your advice on this last point.

The module has only one non-standard dependency, described by the
following code:

if sys.version_info[:2] >= (2, 6):
    import json
else:
    import simplejson as json

If possible, I'd like to make distribution procedure such that if
necessary it also installs json or simplejson (as the case may be).

The actual package would contain the module file and a README file.

Is there a standard tool I can use to create this distribution?

TIA!

kynn