urllib2 slow for multiple requests

Tomas Svarovsky svarovsky.tomas at gmail.com
Wed May 13 08:57:47 EDT 2009

Hello everybody, really new to python, so bear with me. I am trying to
do some very basic scraping tool. Bascally it just grabs a page xy
times and tells me how long it took. When I do this once, it is
blazingly fast, but when I increase the number of repetitions, it is
slowing down considerably (1 is like 3 ms, 100 takes 6 seconds). I
have done implementations in couple more languages (php, ruby) and
none of them seems to suffer from a similar problem and it seems, that
it behaves linearly. Maybe it is a known issue in urllib2, or I am
simply using it badly. I am using python 2.4.3, machine has CentOS,
below is the sc. Thanks in advance

import urllib2
from datetime import datetime

def application():