Learning C++ for Python Development

joshua.pearce at gmail.com joshua.pearce at gmail.com
Sun May 10 08:28:03 EDT 2009

I am a recovering C# web developer who has recently picked up Django
and I'm loving it.

I would eventually like to get a job as a Django/Python developer. It
seems that many Python jobs require that you also be a C++ developer.
While I want to remain primarily a web developer, I don't want be
stuck doing CRUD applications, so I would like to learn C++ for Python
development. I have taken two basic programming courses in straight up
C++, no STL, Boost or anything like that, but I do have a very basic
knowledge of the language.

Can you folks suggest some Python packages which use C++ and are
relevant for web development, so I can dig through the source and
contribute in some way?

Or, just give me some general advice on learning C++ for Python?

P.S. I want to develop on Linux not Windows.

Thanks!