find sublist inside list

Matthias Gallé mgalle at irisa.fr
Mon May 4 08:08:51 EDT 2009

Hi.

My problem is to replace all occurrences of a sublist with a new element.

Example:
Given ['a','c','a','c','c','g','a','c'] I want to replace all
occurrences of ['a','c'] by 6 (result [6,6,'c','g',6]).

If I do this with string ('acaccgac') I have the advantage of all the
'find' functions, but perfomance is bad and some extra care must be
taken if one element consist of more then one character (case of 11 for
example)

So I really would like to work with lists straightforward, but I could
not found anything to search a sublist inside a list.
Any propositions for a simple solution?

Thanks in advance,

--
Matthias Gallé