Help! Can't get program to run.

seanm.py at gmail.com seanm.py at gmail.com
Fri May 1 17:34:03 EDT 2009

I think this is maybe the most basic problem possible, but I can't get
even the most basic Python to run on OS X using Terminal or IDLE. I
used the IDLE editor to create a file with one line of code

print 'text string'

and I saved the file as module1.py. When using terminal I entered
"python" to load the interpreter or whatever and then tried

python module1.py

but I got an error message. I've tried using the file path instead of
module1.py and that didn't work either. I've tried moving the file to
different places, my desktop, hard drive, etc., and none of that
worked either. In IDLE I tried similar things and only got error
messages there too.

Needless to say this is a frustrating start to learning this langauge.
I'd really appreciate any help getting this to work, so I can move on
the actual language. Thanks so much.