Detecting Binary content in files

Dave Angel davea at dejaviewphoto.com
Tue Mar 31 15:28:30 EDT 2009

There are lots of ways to decide if a file is non-text, but I don't know
of any "standard" way.  You can detect a file as not-ascii by simply
searching for any character greater than 0x7f.  But that doesn't handle
a UTF-8 file, which is an 8bit  text file representing Unicode.

The way I've seen done many times is to search for regular occurrence of
the end-of-line character, and the lack of nulls.   Most "binary" files
will have more nulls than linefeeds, and any null could be considered a
marker for a non-text file.

If you're happy with your particular perl script, probably it could be
readily translated to Python.