global name 'self' is not defined - noob trying to learn

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Mon Mar 30 00:52:29 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 9:18 PM,  <mark.seagoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.  So now I have this class that works to allow me to pass in my
> reg_info struct.  However when I try to make it part of my class it
> gets an error "global name 'self' is not defined.  I've never seen
> this error before.  If I comment out the line below 'self.reg_info =
> reg_info" then the code runs... but I need to add stuff to this class,
> and so I'm wondering why I can't use 'self' anymore?

`self` is not magical or a language keyword. It's just the
conventional name for the first argument to an instance method (which
is the instance the method is acting upon). For example, a small
minority use `s` instead for brevity. There is no variable `self` in
the parameters of __new__(), hence you get a NameError, as you would
when trying to access any other nonexistent variable.

Also, you shouldn't use `class_ ` as the name of the first argument to
__new__(). Use `cls` instead since that's the conventional name for
it.

My best guess as to what you're trying to do is (completely untested):
class myclass(long):
    def __new__(cls, init_val, reg_info):
        print reg_info.message
        instance = long.__new__(cls, init_val)