tkinter questions: behavior of StringVar, etc

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 10:58:53 EDT 2009

On 3/29/2009 3:43 AM Scott David Daniels apparently wrote:
> OK, that was plain rude.  a couple of questions is not six questions.
> A reply telling you how to get to some of what you are looking for
> is assistance.  If you want exact answers to an array of questions,
> pay someone to fetch you the answers, or do your own homework.
>
> Clearly I am too grumpy this weekend.

Yes you are too grumpy.  It is *not* rude to point
out that the answers are not where I was pointed.
The available docs are much more focused on "how"
rather than on "why".

Please show me how to use that response to get
even one of the answers.  (Please skip #2, since I
fear a repetition of the kind of answer in all the docs,
which is half an answer.) Or, withdraw your claim.

Btw, I cannot find the answers in Grayson's book either.
It's a big book though, and covers much ground, so I
do not deny the answers might well be in there somewhere.

Let's try just these two:
- Why does a Variable need a master?
- If s is a StringVar instance, why is
   str(s) its name rather than its value?