How complex is complex?

james at biosci.utexas.edu james at biosci.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 28 18:11:09 EDT 2009

thanks, paul.

again, since i don't know the context of the original question, i may
be speaking to something different than the original post; however,
questions about "about how intricate [an] algorithm [is] (this affects
its difficulty of implementation and understanding)" are indeed
discussed in introductory cs courses. and in those courses, as well as
later courses, programming assignments get point deductions when the
student programmer fails to follow good software practice. insofar as
penalties guide learning or encourage students to follow best
practices, the teaching of software practices continues throughout the
cs degree program.

if the original poster wants to email me off-list both the question
and its context, i'm willing to see if i have anything useful to
contribute.

-james