smtplib problem with newly rebuilt Debian/lenny system

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Mar 27 14:29:11 EDT 2009

[posted & e-mailed, please respond to newsgroup]

In article <d37a66e9-55c2-437c-b613-009a62f71eb7 at d2g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
cassiope  <fpm at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>In attempting to diagnose the cause, I tried directly executing the
>lines inside the python2.5 interpreter:
>
>        import  smtplib
>        s= smtplib.SMTP('localhost')
>
>but the second line causes  a traceback:
>
>        File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>        File "/usr/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py", line 244, in __init__
>            (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
>        File "/usr/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py", line 310, in connect
>            raise socket.error, msg
>        socket.error: (97, 'Address family not supported by protocol')
>
>This is with exim4 and python2.5 on a newly installed lenny system.
>No error messages appear in /var/log or /var/log/exim4 directories.

What happens if you
telnet localhost 25

This looks like a network setup issue.

"At Resolver we've found it useful to short-circuit any doubt and just
refer to comments in code as 'lies'. :-)"
--Michael Foord paraphrases Christian Muirhead on python-dev, 2009-3-22