Introducing Python to others

Thu Mar 26 11:38:40 EDT 2009

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
> "Paddy O'Loughlin" <patrick.oloughlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any other suggestions for a possible "wow" reaction from an audience like
> that?
> two simple demos:
> The first one is a simple client server thingy on the LAN.
> I have seen hardened people do a double take
> when they see how little code it takes to set up a server
> and a client.
Excellent.  for number 1.5, I suggest adding a feature to the client
after you get it working, and show how little you had to change,
and how quickly the new feature is working.

I'd shrink recapitulating the tutorial, 1 hour is a very short time.
Perhaps a "strange variable model," huge integers, defining a function,
class, using modules, what "global" does and means (if you have time)
and a hand-wave about types.

[other excellent choices deleted]

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org