What's the difference between generating a value and returning a value?

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue Mar 24 07:48:57 EDT 2009

Clearly, there's no difference, from the wording you quoted.  He uses
three words more or less interchangeably, "produced", "generated" and
"returned."

The distinction he's making is not between these words, but between the
built-in functions, which are already returning values, and the ones
that he has had the user write so far, that do not.

DaveA