Syntax error when importing a file which starts with a number

simon.woolf at gmail.com simon.woolf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:37:40 EDT 2009

> So in a sorted list of files, some of the project 1.2 files will
> appear under 1-2xxxx and others miles away under 1_2xxxx ? And even if
> the submitter is not so dopey, the submittee has two different
> possibilities when looking for project 1.2's files? Brilliant! And
> this is an educational institution ? Have they never heard of
> directories? Time to upgrade from MS-DOS 1.0 to MS-DOS 2.0! And what's
> wrong with a dot in a filename anyway?

It's not that bad, thankfully: you do submit into a dedicated username-
allocated directory, so the files from everyone don't go all into one
place.

Barely anything's done with the submitted files anyway: I think they
just run them through some software to make sure it's not a blatant
copy&paste of anyone else's.  The actual marking is done on your
written report -- which (in addition to the electronic submission) has
to contain printed listings of all your programs.

Thanks again.

Simon