speech recognition help

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Mar 21 10:08:45 EDT 2009

> do u know which one
> 1. cmu sphinx
> 2. natural speaking
> 3. windows sapi
>
> is best ( in accuray and speed ) for predefined vocabulary.. and worth for
> learning as well.?

For a pre-defined vocabulary, they should all be pretty good.  In
general (for non-predefined vocabularies), I've heard that NS
beats both Sphinx and SAPI in terms of recognition quality.  I
haven't seen any comparisons between Sphinx and SAPI.

Other considerations may also come into play:

  - do you expect all your users to have a copy of NS?  Then you
might have to look into something other than NS if they won't.
Or perhaps NS has a developers' toolkit that allows for
redistribution when built into your app.

  - do you expect all your users to run Windows (as I type this
from my Linux box...)?  If not, then SAPI won't be available to
your Mac/Linux/BSD/BeOS/Amiga/whatever users.

  - do you need TTS (text-to-speech) capabilities as well?  SAPI
includes them.  (there are other TTS libraries available such as
mbrola/festival that are available for this if needed)

  - how easy is it to bind to Python?  Sphinx has Python bindings
detailed on the website.  I can't speak for NS or SAPI.

  - how much time/money do you have to invest?  Sphinx is
open-source and free.  SAPI is free-ish for developers, but I
don't know if Microsoft incurs a licensing cost for distributed
apps or other redistribution restrictions.  I can't speak for
NS-for-developers.

Just a few thoughts,

-tkc