Is python worth learning as a second language?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Fri Mar 20 22:34:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Aahz wrote:

> --===============0027953262==
>
> In article <49b58b35$0$3548$426a74cc at news.free.fr>,
> Bruno Desthuilliers  <bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
> >Tomasz Rola a écrit :
> >>
> >> I may not be objective (tried Java, hated it after 6 years).
> >
> >Arf - only took me 6 months !-)
>
> That long?  It only took me six minutes.

Guess what, there was a time when Java was looking quite promising.
Especially in the field of distributed computing (which then meant not
only high performance clusters). And computers were of more than one type,
used other cpus than Intel, too.

Maybe it's easier to ridicule Java now, when it has not met the
expectations. But still, some people (better than I) have spent few
years writing software and doing their research in Java. Sure, that was
before Java had been nominated the common denominator of programming
languages.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola