Neatest way to do a case insensitive "in"?

Albert Hopkins marduk at letterboxes.org
Thu Mar 19 18:19:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 08:52 +1100, Jervis Whitley wrote:

> >>     from string import lower
> >>
> >>     if lower(stringA) in lower(stringB):
> >>          # was this what you were after?
> >>

> > This is analogous to standing behind a perfectly functioning automobile
> > and pushing it everywhere you want to go.
>
> It is an alternative solution. That is all.

I agree that it's an alternative. There are a number of alternatives.
However the OP was asking for a "neater/easier" alternative. I argue
that introducing an external module/function to do the exact same thing
as a built-in type's method doesn't exactly qualify as a "neater/easier"
alternative.

In fact, unless you are using a *very* old version of python, if you
look at the implementation of string.lower(s) it simply returns
s.lower().