How complex is complex?

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 19 11:42:26 EDT 2009

On Mar 19, 4:39 am, Kottiyath <n.kottiy... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that my question was foolish, even for a newbie.
> I will not ask any more such questions in the future.

Gaaah! Your question was just fine, a good question on coding style.
I wish more people would ask such questions so that bad habits could
be avoided.

The newbie posts that are annoying are the ones that:
- are answered on page 1 of any tutorial ("how do I get the second
character of a string?")
- are obvious homework assignments with no actual effort on the
poster's part ("how do I write a Python program to find the first 10
prime numbers?")
- pontificate on what is wrong with Python, based on 2 hours'
experience with the language (often titled "What's wrong with Python",
with content like "Python sucks because it doesn't have a switch
statement/has significant whitespace/doesn't check types of arguments/
isn't totally object-oriented like Java/doesn't have interfaces/...")
- are so vague as to be just Usenet noise (titled "Help me", with no
content, or "i need to write a program and don't know where to start
can someone write it for me?")

I think Daniel's joke was on the rest of us, who each had to chime in
with our favorite dict processing algorithm.

It *would* be good for you as a newbie to get an appreciation of the
topics that were covered in these responses, though, especially the
distinction between updating the dict in-place vs. creating a new
dict.

-- Paul