Run on Startup

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Mar 18 18:39:36 EDT 2009

En Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:13:32 -0300, Mike Driscoll <kyosohma at gmail.com>
escribió:
> On Mar 18, 1:09 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
> wrote:
>> En Tue, 17 Mar 2009 00:16:53 -0200, MRAB <goo... at mrabarnett.plus.com>
>> escribió:

>> (right
>>
>> > Put it in the folder:
>>
>> > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>>
>> Please don't do that, if you care about your users at all, and any of
>> them
>> might use a non-English version of Windows. Programs that put anything
>> in
>> the above location (or install themselves into C:\Program Files, or
>> things
>> like that) are really annoying, and the author is plain stupid.
>
> How is putting your program in "C:\Program Files" stupid? Almost every
> program I've ever installed on Windows defaults to that location.

In my PC, almost every program I've ever installed on Windows defaults to
"C:\Archivos de Programa" instead -- see the difference?

Writing an installer (*and* uninstaller!) that does the right thing isn't
trivial. Application developers usually can't master all the details
involved - a "quick and dirty" installer just doesn't work well except in
the developer's own environment (many things may change: OS version,
system language, locale, user customization, user permissions, network
environment...)
I let the experts do the hard work for me - I use InnoSetup (there are
many other alternatives)

--
Gabriel Genellina