Run on Startup

Tim Wintle tim.wintle at teamrubber.com
Wed Mar 18 15:14:13 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 11:13 -0700, Mike Driscoll wrote:
> On Mar 18, 1:09 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
> > Any decent installer is able to register a program so it runs on startup
> > (InnoSetup, by example). Anyway, if you want to it it yourself, see:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776426(VS.85).aspx
> >
> > --
> > Gabriel Genellina
>
> How is putting your program in "C:\Program Files" stupid? Almost every
> program I've ever installed on Windows defaults to that location.
> Putting a link in the Startup folder is kind of silly, I will grant
> you that. Of course, putting the shortcut there makes it easier for
> non-techie people to remove it. Otherwise you'll have to hack the
> registry to stop the startup or run msconfig and stop auto-start
> there.

The reason is that on non-english language versions it's not called "C:
\Program Files" - there's a system setting that installers use to know
the correct place to put applications. You should ask windows where it
thinks you should put applications, and then put it there.

The "Startup" folder is (I believe) depricated, and I would have guessed
that it's not called "Startup" in other languages.