Disable automatic interning

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:42:00 EDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2:13 pm, "R. David Murray" <rdmur... at bitdance.com> wrote:
> George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there a way to turn off (either globally or explicitly per
> > instance) the automatic interning optimization that happens for small
> > integers and strings (and perhaps other types) ? I tried several
> > workarounds but nothing worked:
>
> No.  It's an implementation detail.
>
> What use case do you have for wanting to disable it?

I'm working on some graph generation problem where the node identity
is significant (e.g. "if node1 is node2: # do something) but ideally I
wouldn't want to impose any constraint on what a node is (i.e. require
a base Node class). It's not a show stopper, but it would be
problematic if something broke when nodes happen to be (small)
integers or strings.

George