Can python quickly display results like bash?

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 17 15:15:48 EDT 2009

Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> writes:

> Ah, I should've thought to google for the sh manpage. Locally, man
> sh just gives me the bash manpage again which doesn't list -x :-(

Are you sure?  On my system the OPTIONS section of bash(1) begins with:

    In addition to the single-character shell options documented in
    the description of the set builtin command, bash interprets the
    following options when it is invoked:
[...]
set [--abefhkmnptuvxBCHP] [-o option] [arg ...]
[...]
    -x   After expanding each simple command, for command, case
         command, select command, or arithmetic for command, display
         the expanded value of PS4, followed by the command and its
         expanded arguments or associated word list.