Mangle function name with decorator?

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Tue Mar 17 13:54:24 EDT 2009

ah, ok.  then yes, you can do that with decorators.  you'd need hash
tables or something similar in a metaclass.  then the decorator would take
the given function, stick it in the appropriate hash table, and return a
function that does the dispatch (ie at run time does the lookup from the
hash table) (you'd only want to set the function once once, so it would
need to check the function wasn't already defined).  also, the decorator
would have one name and get/post etc would be an argument.

this is all documented in the docs and peps, although it's very spread
around.  you might look at the code for the property decorator - it's not
doing what you want, but it's an interesting non-trivial example that's
public.

http://docs.python.org/library/functions.html#property

andrew