Problem: Terminal (OS X) window exits immediately on opening. & Solution.

Lou Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Mar 16 17:15:23 EDT 2009

In article <mailman.1980.1237237525.11746.python-list at python.org>,
 Python <python at rgbaz.eu> wrote:

> > --
> why don't you just execute the script directly form the terminal?
> then you will be able to read all error messages...
> and you can delete all the files you want
>
> just my 2c
>
> Arno

Because the shell process in the Terminal window would exit right after
it started even when I was just trying to open a new window (not even
running a script), i.e. command-N in Terminal.  So I could not run
anything from the Terminal.

More info:  There is an Executestring in the Terminal preferences that
is executed (I would guess as a shell command or script) when the shell
starts up (which happens whenever a new window is opened).  If that is
bad in any way, the shell exists with an error message.  There is no way
to run any shell in the Terminal at that point.  The only option appears
to be to clean up the preferences.  I don't know why the preferences got
a bad command while I was running Python scripts.  Maybe nothing to do
with Python, maybe it does.  Not sure.

--
-- Lou Pecora