PyWin32 for Python 3.x

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 18:39:33 EDT 2009

On 16/03/2009 6:05 AM, John Nagle wrote:
> Tim Golden wrote:
>> John Nagle wrote:
>>> Any idea when PyWin32 will be available for Python 3.x?
>>>
>>> John Nagle
>>
>> Release 213 is out already:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=78018&package_id=79063&release_id=661475
>>

>> I think it's still considered a little bit beta. There have been a *lot*
>> of changes involved.
>
> That "wizard" won't even install unless Python 3.0 is "in the
> registry", which apparently means "installed as the default Python".
> After giving the user an alert box, it dumps you into a dialog which
> says "Python 3.0 is required for this package. Select installation to use".
> That's blank, and the form fields "Python Directory" and "Installation
> Directory" won't accept input, so it can't even be overridden manually.
>
> Lame.

This would be exactly the same for any version of Python; while the
distutils create UI does suck, the problem has nothing to do with Python
3.0.

I'm guessing you built it from source?  If so, and as with every version
of Python, you really just need the 'InstallPath' set appropriately, but
probably also want the PythonPath to be setup like other versions.

Cheers,

Mark