finally successful in ods with python, just one help needed.

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Mar 15 04:07:34 EDT 2009

On Mar 15, 4:46 am, David Bolen <db3l.... at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Note that it appears creating such a spreadsheet directly in Calc also
> adds covered table cells for those cells beneath the spanned cell, but
> Calc loads a file fine without those and still lets you later split
> the merge and edit the underlying cells.  So I'm not sure how required
> that is as opposed to just how Calc manages its own internal structure.

Don't feel lonely :-) OASIS and Calc aren't sure either. Here's what
the ODF 1.1 standard has to say [section 8.1.3]:
"""
Table Cell

The <table:table-cell> and <table:covered-table-cell> elements specify
the content of a table cells. They are contained in table row
elements. A table cell can contain paragraphs and other text content
as well as sub tables. Table cells may be empty.

The <table:table-cell> element is very similar to the table cell
elements of [XSL] and [HTML4], and the rules regarding cells that span
several columns or rows that exist in HTML and XSL apply to the
OpenDocument specification as well. This means that there are no
are covered by a merged cell, that is, that are covered by a cell that
spans several columns or rows. The <table:covered-table-cell> element
exists to be able to specify cells for such positions . It has to
appear wherever a position in the row/column grid is covered by a cell
that spans several rows or columns. Its position in the grid is
calculated by a assuming a column and row span of 1 for all cells
regardless whether they are specified by a <table:table-cell> or a
especially used by spreadsheet applications, where it is a common use
case that a covered cell contains content.
"""

So I was under the impression that only a covered-table-cell could
appear under the cover, especially if the cell were to carry
meaningful content. Not so, evidently, ...

I have adapted your second script as follows, to specify:
row 1: 3-col 2-row spanning cell, then 1 ordinary (not "covered") cell
containing text "X"
row 2: 3 ordinary cells "P2" "Q2" "R2"
row 3: 3 ordinary cells "P3" "Q3" "R3"

odfpy does not automagically change the ordinary cells to covered.

According to the standard, the X cell and the P2-R2 cells are illegal;
they should be covered-table-cell elements.
However Calc neither complains nor bumps the cells out of the arena
(e.g. bumping the X cell from B1 to D1). X and the P2-R2 cells are
hidden ("covered"). If you unmerge the 3x2 A1, Calc displays X in B1,
P2 in A2, etc.

8<--- changed piece of script
    # Add first row with first cell spanning A1:C2
    tr = TableRow()
    table.addElement(tr)
    tc = TableCell(numbercolumnsspanned=3, numberrowsspanned=2,
stylename=centered)
    tc.addElement(P(text="ABC12"))
    tr.addElement(tc)

    # first row, second cell
    tc = TableCell()
    tc.addElement(P(text="X"))
    tr.addElement(tc)

    # Add two more rows with non-spanning non-covered cells
    for r in (2,3):
        tr = TableRow()
        table.addElement(tr)
        for c in "PQR":
            tc = TableCell()
            tc.addElement(P(text='%s%d' % (c, r)))
            tr.addElement(tc)
8<---

In practice, it seems that all cells in the spanned range must be
filled in somehow -- the minimum safest (in the sense of both
complying with the standard and working with Calc) filler being a
covered-table-cell with no attributes other than number-columns-
repeated.

Cheers,
John