"import" not working?

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:27:27 EDT 2009

Steve Holden wrote:
> Lie Ryan wrote:
>> Scott David Daniels wrote:
>>> Also my preference (except, due to aging eyes and bad fonts, I prefer
>>> single quotes unless doubles are needed).  I solve the trailing
>>> backslash problem as so:
>>>    sys.path.append(r'C:\DataFileTypes' '\\')
>> Why not: r'C:\DataFileTypes\ '
>
> Because that's the file named " " that lives in C:\DataFileTypes?

Is whitespace name possible? I tried:

os.mkdir(r'C:\somedir\ ')

and it gives the error:
WindowsError: [Error 183] Cannot create a file when that file already
exists: 'C:\\somedir\\ '

Every single way I can think of to try to make a name with purely space
failed. Why not make os modules special case single whitespace folder?
(give better reason than to quote the Zen)

anyway, you could always use r'C:\DataFileTypes\ '[:-1]