Special keyword argument lambda syntax

Rhodri James rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 11:03:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:49:17 -0000, Beni Cherniavsky
<beni.cherniavsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Specification
>
> Allow keyword arguments in function call to take this form:
>
>     NAME ( ARGUMENTS ) = EXPRESSION
>
> which is equivallent to the following:
>
>     NAME = lambda  ARGUMENTS: EXPRESSION
>
> except that NAME is also assigned as the function's `__name__`.

My first instinct on seeing the example was that "key(n)" was a function
*call*, not a function definition, and to remember the thread a month or
two ago about assigning to the result of a function call.  I'm inclined to
think this would add confusion rather than remove it.