Minimilistic Python on Linux?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Mar 12 23:44:52 EDT 2009

En Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:52:38 -0200, Royce Wilson <rww993 at gmail.com>
escribió:

> Thanks, much better. What exactly do I lose when I launch python without
> site.py?

site.py completes the module search path (sys.path), adding the
site-packages directory, processing .pth files, and other per-site and
per-user configurations. Also, configures some options in the interactive
interpreter (processing PYTHONSTARTUP, enabling interactive help()
support, and the builtin quit/exit/license/credit/copyright functions)

Disabling site.py (and cropping the standard library) only makes sense for
an embedded interpreter - a "normal" installation, for "general" usage,
should be complete IMHO.

--
Gabriel Genellina