functions - where to store them

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Mar 11 10:57:18 EDT 2009

En Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:46:05 -0200, <plsullivan1 at gmail.com> escribió:

> I have several functions which I would like to store in a different
> directory so several programs can use them. I can't seem to find much
> information about how to call a function if the function code is not
> actually in the script itself.
> The problem: do I have to cut and paste functions into a script or can
> I store them in a directory and call them from a script in another
> directory. If the latter is possible, how is this done? Thanks.

I suggest you read the Python tutorial at http://docs.python.org/tutorial
In particular, you're looking for "modules", and they're covered at
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/modules.html

"""If you quit from the Python interpreter and enter it again, the
definitions you have made (functions and variables) are lost. Therefore,
if you want to write a somewhat longer program, you are better off using a
text editor to prepare the input for the interpreter and running it with
that file as input instead. This is known as creating a script. As your
program gets longer, you may want to split it into several files for
easier maintenance. You may also want to use a handy function that you’ve
written in several programs without copying its definition into each
program.

To support this, Python has a way to put definitions in a file and use
them in a script or in an interactive instance of the interpreter. Such a
file is called a module; definitions from a module can be imported into
other modules or into the main module."""

--
Gabriel Genellina