Windows install to custom location after building from source

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 9 21:02:07 EDT 2009

> I attach the merge.log output but I'll try to do some
> research to understand what's going on here in any case.
> In particular it's not clear to me whether the thing
> has worked but has just tripped up over some non-essential
> part, or whether these are real errors. (I really need
> to set up a virtual machine which doesn't have VS2008).

AFAICT, it only complained about errors in merging _Validation.
I'm not sure whether I get the same errors (I would have to
check); those errors can safely be ignored. _Validation is
only used if you want to validate the MSI file, and I think it
complained because the data being merged are different than
the data that were already there. This, in turn, is because
the data already there are (or should be) the recommended values,
whereas the CRT msm deviates from Microsoft's recommended values
(IIRC).

I also see that it fails to add custom actions into
InstallExecuteSequence. I find that puzzling - apparently,
it tries to merge the twice. Are you sure you didn't run it
twice? It will certainly fail the second time.

Regards,
Martin