Is python worth learning as a second language?

Geoff Smith geoff915 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 07:59:25 EDT 2009

In article <gp2rtc$nji$1 at news.onet.pl>, zebik at op.pl says...

> Hi
>
> I hope I won't sound trivial with asking my question.
>
> I am a C++ programmer and I am thinking of learning something else
> because I know second language might be very helpful somehow. I have
> heard a few positive things about Python but I have never writen any
> single line in python so I do not know this language at all.
>
> Do you think python would be good complementary language for C++? Do you
> think it's worth learning it or let's say try Java? and how difficult it
> would be for me if I know C++ pretty well I would say?
>
> Thanks

Every response is going to be pure opinion, of course. But learning
multiple languages that have different primary purposes is always a good
thing.

Python would be an excellent choice to supplement your C++. There are
other languages that might suit you better if you have more directed
needs in mind. But as a general use language, I doubt that Python would
disappoint. It is extremely functional and powerful, but still simple
enough that I generally recommend it as a FIRST language for those who
want to learn programming.