A Dangling Tk Entry

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Mon Mar 9 04:35:17 EDT 2009

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 22:20:09 -0700, W. eWatson wrote:

> You didn't answer my question why entry is necessary at all. The
> original author thought it was necessary to return entry. I'll give you
> a peek at a segment of the code I'm working with here:
>
> class Enter_Data_Dialog(tkSimpleDialog.Dialog):
>
>      def __init__(self, parent, sdict):
>          self.sdict = sdict
>          tkSimpleDialog.Dialog.__init__(self, parent)
>
>      def body(self,master):
>          self.title("Set a Number Entry Dialog")
>
>          Label( master, text="Number ").grid(row=0, sticky=W)
>          self.anumberVar = StringVar()
>          entry = Entry(master, width=10,
>   			textvariable=self.anumberVar).grid(row=0,
column=1)
>          self.anumberVar.set( "%d" % self.sdict["anumber"] )
>
>          return entry

`entry` is unnecessary here.  But that was not obvious from your previous
example, as you trimmed the code.  Now it is clear that `entry` is always
`None` because that's what `grid()` returns.

But according to the docs this method should return the widget, that
should get the focus, so maybe the author really wanted to return the
`Entry` instance here, instead of `None`.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch