should i move on to python3

Tim Wintle tim.wintle at teamrubber.com
Sat Mar 7 21:11:56 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 09:15 +1100, Python Nutter wrote:
> Maybe if everyone shares their own thinking for their own situations
> it may help.

Well, at work I do a mixture of things, some of which require python 2.3
(I know...), and some of which I can write to whatever version I want. I
generally use 2.5 for the second group. This is all work that runs live
all the time and has money running through it, so I'd rather not risk
moving to 3 for *any* of it until:

a) any security holes in python 3 have been fixed
b) it costs me more to stick with 2.x than to go through all of my code
line by line.

At home I normally write code for 2.5, as that's what comes with Ubuntu
Hardy (on my main, stable, machine), and most users will have 2.5 or 2.6
for quite a long time. For projects that are released, I'm planning to
stick to the advice Guido gave at Europython and keep working on 2.5/2.6
in trunk, but automatically generate a 3.x branch using 2to3.

I think it's going to be a bit like Java's JVMs (I can barely write
Java, but I use some Java projects) - I've got Java 5 and 6 running
different applications side by side here. In fact, I've got Sun's JVM
for 6 and 5, and IBM's JDK for Java 5 all running.

Similarly, on various machines I use CPython 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and
Jython 2.2 for various reasons - and I'm certainly planning on using
PyPy a large amount once it's stable.

I used the Beta of 3.0, but to be honest I haven't used it for anything
"proper" yet.

Tim Wintle