should i move on to python3

Python Nutter pythonnutter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 17:15:38 EST 2009

Maybe if everyone shares their own thinking for their own situations
it may help.

I know the 2.x branch rather well, and cut my teeth on it.

My work involves x509 cryptographic materials and I cut my own
binaries and then wrap them in python to extend and enhance or build a
lot of automation around the binaries. I am the primary consumer of
the final programs so I don't wrap them in any sort of GUI. As such my
python touchpoints are rather slim on libraries. It took me all my
life up to a month ago to move off of os.popen and onto subprocess.
With this I could move between Python branches without much issue. I
do have an Ubuntu system at work as well as Windows so I'm a lazy sod
who didn't feel like building a custom Python build so I jus use what
comes with Ubuntu. Because of this I am stuck with a tenuous small
reliance on the 2.x branch, very small but add in lazy or not wanting
to use up xyz hours preparing new environments and learning a new
idioms and you might get the typical python user who encorporates it
at a job function where programming is not their job function but they
use python to help make the job eaier in a few areas.

I use more 3rd party modules at home and use the OS X platform
exclusively there. I wish I had time with the family but a lot of my
projects have been left by the wayside (web page scraping, games and
opengl programming, etc). Unlike Windows, tkinter GUI programs on OS X
could look native-ish. I always have aversions to making GUI programs
for distribution that require users install large dependencies so I
have shied away from doing them. With 3.1 it looks like themed tk
support is now added so that could be an incentive. That and I
silently troll python submitters and got the feeling 3.1 was what 3.0
was supposed to be ;-) so I been silently waking for 3.1 to go final
before spending time with the 3 branch to learn the changes.

In short if it's just you using your programs you have a lot of
flexibility in your choice of branch to use. If you distribute then
you are restricted by your end user branch sets even more. If you
heavily use 3rd party modules you are tied down further. So work
backwards and decide what is it you at writting, what features
internal and external are you using or desire to use and who will
consume your program. Then you'll have your answer or pretty close to
it.

Cheers,
PN