should i move on to python3

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sat Mar 7 15:55:31 EST 2009

"Martin P. Hellwig" <xng at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Wensui Liu wrote:
> > i started learning python with earlier version and am happy with it
> > and all related packages, such as scipy, pywin, and so on.
> > right now, i am wondering if i should move to python3. if i do, will
> > all packages working on earlier version still work in python3? this is
> > my major concern.
>
> I wouldn't bet on it
>
> > my another question is how many python users will move to python3.
>
> Eventually all of them.
>
> > any insight?
>
> Well I don't have insight in the mind of the core developers, but I
> think you could compare it with any other major software upgrade.
> Think of it like people upgrading from windows NT4 to 2000, some
> software works some not, some people are happy with NT4 others prefer to
> keep up with current technology. Look at it like py3 is 2000 before the
> first service pack, internally it works, could need some polishing but
> that's about it. The things that don't work are more often caused by
> third parties then the core development.

Comparing Python releases to Windows releases is...disturbing :)

> > thanks a lot.
>
> If you want to be more on the safe side, I would say wait for 3.2 or
> even 3.3 . More specific, wait till the external module developers (the
> ones you use) say it is stable on Py3

As of 3.1 (which fixes the speed problems of the new io package),
I think the only reason not to move to python3 will be any
dependency one might have on 3rd party packages that haven't
themselves made the switch yet.  Of course, that will be a big
issue for some time to come for many people.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com