"/a" is not "/a" ?

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Fri Mar 6 14:46:14 EST 2009

Emanuele D'Arrigo wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> while testing a module today I stumbled on something that I can work
> around but I don't quite understand.

*Do NOT use "is" to compare immutable types.*    **Ever! **

It is an implementation choice (usually driven by efficiency considerations) to choose when two strings with the same value are stored in memory once or twice.  In order for Python to recognize when a newly created string has the same value as an already existing string, and so use the already existing value, it would need to search *every* existing string whenever a new string is created.  Clearly that's not going to be efficient.  However, the C implementation of Python does a limited version of such a thing -- at least with strings of length 1.

Gary Herron